Friday, April 28, 2006

Letter to a friend who skipped class....

-- M wrote:

> Hi J,
>
> How are you doing? I was so tired I didn't feel
> like going to class
> today :), What did I miss in N and S's
> class?
>
> M

M,

Pretty much nothing. In Dr. N's class, he went over the answers from Quiz #14 (median score = 5). He gave us another set of problems to take home (Set #2) and we had Review Quiz #4 (not graded.)

In Dr. S's class, he did a problem like this:

"Assume X is Uniform(0,1). Let Y-sub-t be Bernoulli(x), i.e.,

Pr(Y-sub-t = 1 | x) = x
Pr(Y-sub-t = 0 | x) = 1-x

Compute the density functions f(X|Y-sub-1 = 1)
and f(X|Y-sub-1 = 0)

He then confused the daylights out of us. We had five minutes to work on it on our own, and after no one could do it, Dr. S worked out two ways to do it. The first way worked; the second way didn't. He didn't have his notes...I suspect he planned to put it on the computer, but he couldn't get the classroom computer to work.

That mess is supposed to develop the Beta function. How, no one could say.

BTW, who should I be voting for in the AS Club elections? I don't know 1/2 of these people.

--J

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home