Friday, April 21, 2006

Pizza and UPS


The last few days I can't say I've been more busy than lazy, but I've managed to study every day. Perhaps not as many hours as I'd like to, but I've never gone a day without study.

We are now down to the last four days of classes over 6 weekdays. Dr. N's quizzes are becoming tougher and tougher with a quiz today that, frankly, I thought I was going to fail. I solved the last problem literally as he said "time is up" and it was just like Indiana Jones sliding underneath a falling door. As it turned out, the only mistake I made was that (4-partition-2,1,1) <> C(4, 2). Which means my answer was off by a factor of 2.

In Dr. S's class, we reviewed the test. We finally found out how to come up with two random variables whose correlation is 0, but are not independent. As the class was leaving, one guy talked to me in class. He said, "I don't know what I've got in this class -- I've tried to find out and he won't tell us!!" My belief is that he wants to make the grading as subjective as he can -- Dr. S will look at the quality of the work, and decide who gets an A, B, C, etc. The bad part about this system is that students who might be on the edge of getting a D (or might be getting a D) are given no warning that they need to bring their scores up.

There was a meeting for doctoral students today, but since it was about graduation for Ph. D. students, I didn't have to attend -- although I missed out on free pizza. Usually, I'll drive for miles if the words "free pizza" are mentioned. But I needed to get home to interview for a summer job with UPS. I suspect my wife would rather have me do an office job, since they pay is better and the labor is lighter. (And both my wife and my mom want me to do PRN Nursing once a week. My thoughts on that are "fat chance" -- I'll do it only if it's a financial necessity.)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home