Monday, April 17, 2006

Test Complete


We are now in the last two weeks of classes, and we had the Math Foundations of Actuarial Science test today.

There were ten questions. Getting five right was considered a good score. There were questions on:

1) integration of p.d.f's of f(x,y) type
2) finding means, variance, covariance, correlation
3) finding two RVs whose covariance is 0, but are not independent (I couldn't think of any)
4) finding the CDF of a function whose moment generating function is Mx(t) = e^t. (Hint: Find the mean and the variance.)
5) a Central Limit Type function.
6) the Rao-Blackwell Theorem

I think I got five right, or at least, I demonstrated "non-trivial understanding" in my answers to get partial credit enough to get to five right answers.

So this leaves two homeworks, some quizzes in Dr. N's class...and that's it for the rest of the two weeks. Then, final exam week and one of the three exams -- the one in Intro Statistics -- is NOT cumulative.

Then Exam P on May 18th. Then...naught until August.

Went to the library to pick up two books recommended by Dr. S. The first is "Linear Algebra Done Right" by Axler and the other is "Standard Optimization by Vector Space Methods" by Luenberger. I could find the first one, but not the second one -- it was listed as "checked in" but not present. I'll check later.

Also talked to Dr. G, the Ph. D. program coordinator. I asked him about taking on a job as a tutor during the semester, six hours a week from now until October. He stated that he normally doesn't recommend it but that I might be able to handle it -- I would have classes and graduate assistant work but "they don't know what you can do yet" so I probably wouldn't be given much work. Hey, if I have to take that choice versus nursing, I'd gladly eat up my first semester time.

To all of you working hard out there, keep working hard.

1 Comments:

Blogger Y said...

Re: To all of you working hard out there, keep working hard.

Thanks, I'll keep it up;)

5:17 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home