Monday, April 24, 2006

Chapters 9 and 10


Not too much to report on the actuarial front. Right now, we're in the final week of classes. Classes end next Monday and my exams are May 3rd, 5th, and 8th respectively, with Exam P scheduled for May 18th.

As it turns out, I'll have another exam scheduled -- the Basic Cardiac Life Support Exam -- cardiopulmonary resuscitation. Yes, I need to get my CPR card so I can go back into part-time nursing. Do I want to do nursing over the summer? Hell no. But I saw a film about what a UPS package loader has to do, and that scared me off.

My mother (who's a nurses' aide) says that it's a lot easier on her to work one day a week than it is to work full time. (Mom has retired.) So maybe it will be easier for me, but I don't look forward to it. I'll take an on-line exam tomorrow and a skills check possibly Saturday. After that, all I'll need is some white scrubs and I'll be ready to go.

Today's class sessions:

Dr. N: he returned the last quiz, and I tanked it. 9 out of 15 points, atypical for me. Oh well, he drops a couple of quizzes a year. The last quiz of the semester is tomorrow.

Dr. S: a long discussion about filtering. I only have the most tenuous of grasps on the material, but I know I'm going to need it if I want to study catastrophe bonds. My friend M suggests that Dr. S looks at our blank faces, knows there's no hope of illuminating us, and then he goes on with the lecture.

Dr. Z: Paired sample tests. Large samples, and small samples. And we can use a "cheat sheet" with formulas for the non-cumulative final. Now what am I going to do with all those notecards?

By the way, the title "Chapters 9 and 10" refer to the fact that I've finally reached Chapter 9 (of 10 total) of the ACTEX study manual for Exam P. Joint transformations and order statistics. This should be fun.

On Wednesday: the Actuarial Science club holds its elections for officers -- and they won't be elected! See who gets assigned as the Actuarial Science President! (It won't be me, by the way...I didn't know how much time I could contribute....)

3 Comments:

Blogger Y said...

Is it still considered as an electon if the positions will be assigned?

5:37 PM  
Blogger Frank Sinisterra said...

Regarding summer work: maybe there's some statistical grunt work various social science research projects at your university needs done? It was a preferred way of making extra cash for grad students in Applied Math/Stats where I was going to school. The workhorse software back then was SAS.

It seems (to someone who hasn't taken a college-level math class in 15 years now) that the bulk of your coursework is in probability theory and its applications, but maybe you could swing the stat work regardless? Certainly better than hard manual labor, and you don't seem at all happy about the prospect of doing the nursing bit.

Whatever you end up doing in the summer, may it be lucrative and enjoyable!

11:28 AM  
Blogger James said...

yy,

I sent a note to the current acting president of the AS Club stating that "elections" might be the wrong word to use. As the AS club will be meeting tomorrow, it appears that everything will be revealed tomorrow....

Dr. Sinisterra,

Well, I talked to the program coordinator of Risk Management, and he doesn't know of anything available on campus. I'm sure I could make some campus money, but my wife is looking forward to the big nursing cash. I'm hoping to get some part-time work in research nursing; I sent my resume in for a job. If I don't get that, it's working in a nursing home.

(Disclosure: Dr. Sinisterra is not a faculty member at my university. However, he has been doing invaluable work for my other blog, and I have not told him how much I appreciate it as my face has been pressed into the grindstone of final exam prep. I thank him for all that he has done, and will get around to reading a story about Mary Sue, now that I've finished a story about respect....)

8:46 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home