Sunday, April 09, 2006

I Feel Good with p=0.25


Not much to report. I've spent the weekend studying -- about seven hours in total. There's a midterm in Math Foundations of Actuarial Science next Monday and I want to be ready for it. Usually, seven hours assures me an "A" in whatever exam I study in.

But this class isn't like other classes. Other classes have chapters, and an outline, and a definite progression of knowledge. This is Dr. S's class, and I have the sneaking suspicion that he talks about whatever he wants to talk about. There's a p=0.1 chance that none of the stuff he's mentioned in the last two months will show up on the midterm. I wouldn't put it past him. Oh well, at least it's a great preparation for exam p.

So I'm dealing with all kinds of transformations of random variables. Transforming f(x,y) into f(u,v), when u=h(X,Y), v=k(X,Y). Transforming f(x) into f(y) when y=h(X). And now...transforming f(x,y) into f(u) when U=h(X,Y).

Egad. It's as confusing as hell.

Other than that, no news. I'm still thinking of doing a dissertation (it's not too early to think about such things) in Catastrophe Risk -- it seems to be the big thing at my university, and it's very interesting. I almost watched another documentary on Hurricane Katrina, but I think I've seen too many of them.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home