Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Another Interview Down


Okay, that's another interview down.

All and all, I think it went very well. The interview was with a consulting actuary firm in a southern state that does actuarial valuations for about 160 clients or so. It's a small office of about 9 actuaries or so.

My interviewer did most of the talking. My wife said that's a good sign. I don't know why it's a good sign; probably, it means that he's not "tuned out" and just passing time letting you talk so that the interviewer can be over.

We talked about the work of consulting actuaries. Since the office is small, the job will call on a lot of responsibility -- I'll probably go to work immediately doing benefit calculations.

He asked, "what do you see the next step as being in the interview process?" I said that it would be meeting with them or considering an offer. So possibly, I (and my wife) might be asked to fly to the location to meet the actuaries who work there, undoubtedly to have dinner with them as well.

I'll know by Tuesday of next week. I wrote a "thank-you" note to the interviewer, and sent it on.

As for the interview I had last week? Still haven't heard from them. If I don't hear from them by Friday, I'll assume I'll hear nothing at all. In the meantime, I'll continue to apply for jobs and study.

For those few readers considering an interview, this article might be of interest. The article is here and discusses the most important question you'll ever be asked in an interview:

"Tell me about yourself....

I've been asked that question in almost every interview I've had with someone. I never realized how many candidates wipe out their chances with the way they answer. It was a good read; my interviewer today didn't ask it but both of the interviewers of my other two actuarial interviews asked it as Question #1.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home