Friday, March 31, 2006

First On-Site Interview


Today, I decided to solve the P-h-D vs. j-o-b quandary by taking matters into my own hands.

As you know, I had a telephone interview with a company in a southern state on Tuesday. I contacted that company by telephone and let them know that "someone I spoke with has made an offer". (I did not let them know that this was a university, not a company.) I asked them if they were willing to make an offer, and if so, how much.

They said that they would be unable to make an offer now. They wanted me to come down and see the company in person. This could be done either over two days (Monday-Tuesday) or one day (Monday). After I visited on Monday, they'd made an offer, if they were so inclined, on Tuesday.

So I said, "yes". The company offers health benefits, profit sharing, and something like a 401K where I can prepare for retirement.

Thus, on Monday, I'll fly down to see the company up close, and then fly back on the same day. If the offer is good enough in terms of salary -- then I'll become a working actuary. If it isn't, then I'll take the university path.

Hey, it's a solution, at least.

1 Comments:

Blogger Y said...

Well done, James! Indeed it was a solution. Good luck with your interview on Monday and I believe you will do just fine.

take care,
yy

8:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home