Monday, March 27, 2006

Big Monday


I've returned after a weekend home. Went to Kentucky to see my mom. We attended my aunt's 60th wedding anniversary.

This left me with a lot of things due on Monday. Here's how I handled them.

1) An elementary probability quiz in Dr. N's class. It was easy, but I blew the last problem by failing to realize that 5X + 2(3-X) = 3X + 6. I had a 2-X term for the 3-X term. And of course, when you're calculating E(Y) = E(3X + 6) = 3E(X) + 6, that bad algebra makes all the difference.

2) A ton of homework due in Dr. S's class. His lecture today was regarding the transformation of (X,Y) (ordered pair of random variables, X, Y) into (R, theta), i.e., polar coordinate form. This involved Riemann sums, determinants, and a discussion that wandered all over the place. What anyone got out of that lecture is
beyond me.

As for the difficulty of the homework, some people in the class got only 2 or 3 problems out of about 20. I got about 10 or 12. Everyone moaned about the difficulty. I had my work 90% done before my trip; I'm tired of looking at those problems now. Maybe he'll discuss them in class; most likely, he won't.

3) Exam today in Elementary Statistics. A rehash of elementary probability, plus the Central Limit Theorem added on. There's no point in studying at the problems are so easy. Usually, I study obsessively even on minor tests, but I had to go see Mom and it didn't seem worthwhile. He gave a practice test in class which I aced. We'll see how I do in the real thing.

Still applying for jobs. It looks like the summer internships are filled up -- I got two e-mails saying "sorry, full up for summer". I'll keep putting my resume out for full-time work. I drastically cut down the size of my resume -- why put all of my nursing jobs down if I'm not applying for a nursing position? That cut my resume from 2 pages to 1 page.

Mom gave me an invaluable tool -- a prayer cloth. In the Pentecostal religion, church members annoint a square of cloth with oil and pray over it. I'm not a Pentecostal, but I'll take the prayer cloth if it will help me.

1 Comments:

Blogger Y said...

James,

I just sent you an email about an internship opportunity in my company, please take a look.

Thanks,
YY

1:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home