Wednesday, March 01, 2006

Connecticut, Pennsylvania and New Jersey


Back home. Took two quizzes today, one in Dr. N's class and one with Dr. S, and I think I punched through both of them. A feel good feeling. I hope I can punch through the ACTEX manual tonight as well, because I'm exhausted. Just worked out for 30 minutes, showered, ready for dinner.

Applied to some new jobs. From ACS in Stamford, CT; Philadelphia, PA and Secaucus, NJ. In my opinion, that counts as three jobs, and one job from NY. Four jobs total!

Here are some places I didn't apply:

* Jacksonville, FL -- wife can't stand Jacksonville, FL
* Keene, NH -- does my wife want to move that far north?
* Cleveland, OH -- does my wife want to move to Cleveland? Too cold?
* Minneapolis, MN -- 1) only an internship, and 2) snow and more snow

Busy going to Actuary.net and reading articles of interest. Found this article very interesting. It's about the calculation of the force of mortality, mu-sub-x, which is (mu-sub-x) = B*(c^x). Supposedly, this works for people ages 30 to 55, although the article never bothered to mention what B and c are.

Aside from that, you have to go to the Lee-Carter method for a more complex estimate of mortality, and there they lost me because I don't know stochastic processes. Anyone want to hire an actuary that doesn't know stochastic processes? I can learn!

And I did learn hedging today. Hedging kicks ass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home